Posts for tag: Sports Injuries
You love sports. Tennis, running, weight training—you name it. However, these activities can take a toll on your body over time. Fortunately, here at Castledowns Chiropractic in Edmonton, AB, your chiropractors, Dr. Michelle Martinook and Dr. Christopher Oviatt, help athletes just like you deal with sports injuries, improve performance, and stay in the game.
Common Sports Injuries
You might think of a concussion or a broken wrist, however, most sports injuries are less obvious than these issues. Typical problems include:
- Pain, particularly in the lower back
- Muscle weakness, soreness, and imbalance
- Sprains (ankle sprains are the most common sports injury according to the American Podiatric Medical Association)
- Turf toe
- Shin splints
- Stress fractures
- Torn ligaments and tendons (such as the ACL in the knee and the rotator cuff in the shoulder)
Injuries originate in blows to the body, hyperextension/hyperflexion of joints, and falls.
There are conditions that set the stage for sports injuries. They include:
- Age: The older you are, the stiffer your muscles and connective tissue are. Age makes bones brittle, too, and prone to fracture. Young people are more accident-prone and are simply more involved in athletics. Statistics Canada says that 66 percent of injuries to teens are related to sports.
- Poor physical condition: Consistent training and conditioning reduce the risk of sports injuries. However, weekend warriors who train infrequently sustain more repetitive motion and overuse injuries.
- Worn-out or ill-fitting equipment: Good shoes that fit properly and well-constructed padding are definite musts.
Seeing Your Chiropractor in Edmonton, Ab
At Castledowns Chiropractic, our professional team treats and prevents common sports injuries. Your evaluation starts with a hands-on spinal exam, review of your symptoms, and digital imaging. Dr. Martinook or Dr. Oviatt will put together a care plan to address your immediate pain and impaired function and to prevent injuries in the future.
Customized to your unique needs and goals, your management strategies may include:
- Chiropractic adjustment of spinal subluxations (misalignments)
- Massage therapy to relieve pain and tension in large muscles groups
- Joint manipulation and mobilization
- Electrical stimulation (TENS)
- Ultrasound therapy
Be in Your Best Shape
Feel great, and expect improved performance when you undergo chiropractic treatment for your sports injuries. Contact Castledowns Chiropractic at (780) 457-3621 for more information.