Posts for: September, 2017
Pain medication isn't the only way to deal with aches and pains. Massage therapy offers an effective method to reduce and control pain. Edmonton, AB, chiropractors Dr. Christopher Oviatt and Dr. Michelle Martinook of Castledowns Chiropractic explain how you can benefit from massage therapy.
How does massage therapy reduce pain?
Manipulating sore muscles loosens and relaxes them, decreasing pain and tension. In addition to decreasing or eliminating muscle pain, massage therapy also improves your range of motion and increases both blood and lymph circulation. Increased blood flow promotes healing, while improved lymph circulation enhances immune system functioning and also removes excess fluids that can cause swelling. Massage triggers the release of endorphins, natural body chemicals that act as painkillers. It also increases your level of serotonin, a chemical that affects your mood.
Massage therapy can be helpful for a range of conditions
In addition to relieving pain, massage therapy in our Edmonton office is a very effective stress-relief method. Over time, stress causes muscles to tense painfully and blood pressure to rise. Massage therapy can help you avoid these consequences without the need for medications. Stress is also a factor in some diseases and conditions, such as asthma. If you have asthma, you may have noticed that your symptoms are worse when you feel stressed or anxious. Regular massages keep stress levels low and may decrease the number of asthma flare ups you experience.
You may also benefit from massage therapy if:
- You're in pain due to an injury or condition, such as sciatica, carpal tunnel syndrome, whiplash, strained muscles or tendinitis.
- Your muscles are tight and painful due to poor posture or hours sitting or standing at work.
- You have pain related to gout, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis or other diseases and conditions.
- You have chronic gastrointestinal problems caused by constipation or other issues.
- You suffer from insomnia or sleep apnea.
- You experience frequent tension headaches.
Reduce your pain and improve your health with massage therapy. Call Edmonton, AB, chiropractors Dr. Christopher Oviatt and Dr. Michelle Martinook of Castledowns Chiropractic at (780) 457-3621 to schedule an appointment.